I was surprised by how many people emailed me about being a “Sometimes Food Mommy” after I posted The Truth About Kraft Dinner Smart and announced:
My favourite comment and the one that sums up most of the emails and tweets I received the best came from Galit Breen of These Little Waves who commented: “Sometimes food needs to be talked about, too.”
So let’s talk about it.
Thanks to Jessica at Four Plus An Angel I’ve become, let’s say engrossed in (because it sounds better than addicted to) Pinterest where I’ve found some great recipes. I knew my family would love this one instantly.
I altered the recipe slightly (I couldn’t really understand why the sauce wasn’t INSIDE the pizza rolls). I also omitted the pepperoni because some days my kids like it and some days they don’t.
So here we go, Sometimes Food Mommy cooks Pizza Rolls for dinner.
Pillsbury Pizza Dough
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Pizza Sauce* (usually comes with all the spices you need right in it)
Pepperoni (if desired)
*Reserve some pizza sauce for dipping.
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Pat pizza dough into rectangle (I did this on a sheet of wax paper to make it easier to roll).
3. Spread desired amount of pizza sauce onto dough (I used 1/2 a small can).
4. Top with cheese and pepperoni (if using).
5. From short side roll dough into pinwheel (use fingers to pinch seam shut).
6. Using sharp knife cut into 12 rolls.
7. Place rolls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or tinfoil sprayed with cooking spray (VERY IMPORTANT – otherwise they will stick!). You many need to re-shape the rolls gently with your fingers because they get slightly “smushed” when you cut them.
8. Bake in 450F oven for 10 minutes.
If you steam some veggies while the rolls are cooking dinner will be ready to go when the oven timer goes off.
Don’t forget the extra pizza sauce for dipping. My kids LOVE to dip!
- Substitute Pillsbury Pizza Dough for whole wheat homemade dough.
- Substitute regular mozzarella cheese for reduced fat mozzarella cheese.
- Substitute cooked and crumbled turkey sausage for pepperoni.
- If you have the time, and little eyes aren’t watching you, grate some carrot onto the sauce before topping with cheese for an extra hit of veggies for your kids.