The mild winters we enjoy in sunny Australia make for a great season to carry out exterior renovations, which prepares your home for the spring, summer and Xmas. In this short article, we list a few renovations you can make on your property this winter.
- Replace the decking – If your decking has seen better days, rather than giving it a coat of stain, replace the old timer with engineered timber decking planks. There is a composite core and a few mm of real timber, which is very durable and easy to work with. Many finishes and colours allow you to create a feature; some new furniture and a couple of hanging chairs and you have a new deck!
- Resurface the pool – If your pool has been a feature of the property since you moved in, it might be an idea to contact the best pool resurfacing Perth has to offer. Whether fibreglass or concrete, you can render with pool plaster or paint with epoxy pool paint, which will transform the pool. Summers are long and it isn’t a good time for pool renovations; rather call a local pool renovator while the weather is cooler; it will likely be a bit cheaper in the winter, as summers are always busy times for pool maintenance.
- Shading – If you use awnings, check that they are in good shape; if your budget stretches, why not install a custom retractable roof over the patio? This is the ultimate shading solutions and would significantly add to the value of your home.
- Driveway – If you have an asphalt driveway, resurfacing would certainly boost the kerb appeal; if your driveway is paved, think about block paving, which is a long-term solution that can withstand a motorhome! A two-colour design with a nice pattern elevates the front of the property; Google Images can show you some stunning driveways.
- Repaint the exterior – This should be done every couple of years, especially if you live in a coastal area, where salt winds corrode almost all building surfaces. Why not take a look at rendering, which not only protects, it also gives you another layer of insulation, saving energy? Exterior cladding can transform a property, with many colours and finishes; some form of building insulation needs to be in place to help with climate control.
The above projects are best carried out in the cooler months; Google will find local companies who are always happy to quote and you can prepare for this Xmas and New Year.